We do have a great opportunity to support the young community in our IUFRO family – please
read the mail bellow and if you agreed to the questions from Björn and would like to
become a mentor, please send you answer to <mailto:Bjorn.Hanell@slu.se>
Bjorn.Hanell(a)slu.se cc to me
Thank you !!
De : Björn Hånell [mailto:Bjorn.Hanell@slu.se]
Envoyé : mardi 2 avril 2019 09:34
À : Jens Peter Skovsgaard <jps(a)slu.se>se>; y.el-kassaby(a)ubc.ca; Chung, Woodam
<woodam.chung(a)oregonstate.edu>du>; Jean-Luc Peyron
<jean-luc.peyron(a)gip-ecofor.org>rg>; pekka.saranpaa(a)luke.fi; Sievänen Tuija (Luke)
<tuija.sievanen(a)luke.fi>fi>; Eckehard Brockerhoff
<eckehard.brockerhoff(a)scionresearch.com>om>; Sandra LUQUE
<sandra.luque(a)irstea.fr>fr>; Daniela Kleinschmit (forward)
Cc : Janice Burns <burns(a)iufro.org>rg>; 'Sarah Dickson-Hoyle'
<sarah.dh(a)ifsa.net>et>; 'to: Johannes Hermanus Cornelis de Koning'
Objet : Proposal for a Recruitment Mentoring Programme
Dear Jens Peter, Yousry, Woodam, Jean-Luc, Pekka, Tuija, Eckehard, Sandra and Daniella,
I have some very good news! A most uplifting matter that I would like to ask your opinions
about. It is a follow up on our discussions at the previous Board Meeting in Corvallis
that included renewal of Officeholders and possibly establishing ‘’Junior Officeholder’’
positions in the IUFRO structure.
Here is the good news: Two very experienced members of the International Forestry
Students’ Association (IFSA), Sarah Dickson-Hoyle and Johannes (Joost) de Koning, will be
leading the mentorship program at the IUFRO World Congress in Curitiba. They have proposed
the following three levels of mentoring:
1. Event based mentoring (pairing youth and students with experienced IFSA members at the
2. Content mentoring: whereby youth participants (mentees) that have a primary interest in
the scientific content of the congress are paired with more experienced scientists at the
3. Recruitment mentoring: where early career scientists (mentees) that have an interest in
both the scientific content of the congress and the inner workings of IUFRO are paired
with IUFRO division members (mentors).
A short description of the intent and activities proposed for recruitment mentoring is as
· Get to know/explain the workings of an IUFRO Division.
· Expand the network into junior/senior scientists with similar interests.
· First line experience of new developments within the scientific field of
interest from a junior/senior perspective.
· Division members and interested mentees exchange professional profiles (before
the event: online).
· Kick off- of permanent mentoring programme within one or several IUFRO
divisions. Meet and greet with the interested mentees and the Divisions (at the event).
· Mentees and Divisions keep in touch for a year, during which the mentees are
part of the information exchange and possibly meetings within the Division (after the
Since this proposed Recruitment Mentoring Programme would require engagement and long
term cooperation from IUFRO Officeholders, it would be good to have an understanding of
the level of interest and support from current Officeholders, and to harmonise this
activity with any other plans before proceeding with implementing the mentorship program.
Therefore, please share your opinions with me and give an indication of:
1. if you would be willing to participate as a mentor in such a ‘’recruitment mentoring
programme’’ if it was offered at Curitiba?
2. If you feel that a general approach to advertising (e.g. sending congress attendees
an e-mail about the three types of mentoring at the Congress, including a link to register
for the Curitiba mentorship program) is suitable for recruitment mentoring, or should it
be supplemented by a more targeted approach to attract the involvement of current (or
3. If you would be willing to set aside a little bit of time and agree to be contacted
by Sarah and Joost?
4. If you would be interested in taking on a roll related to pairing mentors and
I look forward to your responses. Quick ones are greatly appreciated, but the generous
request is to let me know what you think before Friday evening, April 12 :)
När du skickar e-post till SLU så innebär detta att SLU behandlar dina personuppgifter.
För att läsa mer om hur detta går till, klicka här
E-mailing SLU will result in SLU processing your personal data. For more information on
how this is done, click here
Show replies by date