INNOVATION AND NEW HORIZONS IN TREE NURSERY STOCK PRODUCTION AND FOREST RESTORATION - FROM RESEARCH TO BUSINESS
This is the title of an International Scientific Conference, organised within the EU FP6 project "Pre-Forest", that will be held in Rome (Italy) from 12 to 14 March 2009.
The conference is organised in co-operation between Vivai Torsanlorenzo Group, University of Tuscia, Dalarna University, and National Agricultural Research Foundation and IUFRO (International Union of Forest Research Organizations) groups S3.02.00 (Operational methods in the establishment and treatment of stands), working parties S3.02.03 (Nursery operations) and S3.02.01 (Stand establishment operations).
The announcement and the call for abstracts can be found on the Website www.vivaitorsanlorenzo.it and www.preforest.eu
ABSTRACTS ARE VERY WELCOME UNTIL THE END OF JANUARY 2009
In the last decade considerable changes have occurred in tree forest nursery techniques (from seed handling and processing to planting stock storage) and in forest restoration operations. Main drivers of change are represented by the implementation of sustainable forestry with focus on biodiversity, landscape and climate change, the need to reduce resources imputed during planting stock production.
Contemporary forest restoration is a complex task, as it assumes different forms according to diverse ecological, socio-political and historic contexts. Yet, forest restoration requires vision, flexibility in applying silvicultural tools. Also a pragmatic approach is needed, as costs of restoration and scale of degradation are constraints.
Technical innovation and forethought are needed to adapt forest nursery management and forest restoration.
This conference aims at bringing together scientists, forest managers, policy advisors, private nursery entrepreneurs and producers of nursery equipment to:
· display the results of their research activities and their prototypes, innovative biological results and technical solutions regarding nursery management and forest restoration, especially in difficult sites;
· to present new ideas for technological innovation, prototypes and applications, and discuss future development within this area.
Two themes will thus be developed:
1. Innovative forest nursery management
2. Contemporary forest restoration
Vivai Torsanlorenzo Group and University of Tuscia (Italy), QS Odlingssystem AB and Dalarna University (Sweden), and Ditikomakedonika Fytoria and National Agricultural Research Foundation (freece) are partners of a research project named "PreForest", funded by the European Commission (EC), within the VI Research Framework Programme, Cooperative Research Action For Technology (CRAFT). During the conference the results of "PreForest" will be presented.
The PreForest project's objectives can be summarised as follows:
· introduce a new technology build on pre-cultivation (in mini-plugs) of forest regeneration materials in a cost efficient and environmental friendly production unit not affected by outdoor climate;
· develop a new technology for a grading and re-plug robot adapted to mini-plugs.
· integrate these technologies into a functional system for large scale production of pre-cultivated forest regeneration materials adapted to transplanting and further growth at forest nurseries all over Europe;
· introduce this system at strategic locations in Europe for just in time deliveries to all potential forest nurseries that could benefit of the new pre-cultivation system.
EC CRAFT programme allows small and medium enterprises to create consortia with research organisations and to formulate highly innovating initiatives, whose results are easily e rapidly useable by the enterprises involved in the project as well as the others operating in the sector.
For information and submitting abstract, please contact:
Dr Elisabetta Margheriti
Via Campo di Carne 51
00040 Tor San Lorenzo - Ardea (RM), Italy
Tel.: 0039 06 91019005, Fax: 0039 06 91011602
or visit the Web: www.vivaitorsanlorenzo.it, www.preforest.eu
Dr Marco Simeone
DAF - Dip. Sci. Ambiente For. e Risorse
Università degli Studi della Tuscia
Via S. Camillo de Lellis
01100 Viterbo, Italy
Tel.: 0039 0761 357411; Fax: 0039 0761 357250