for your information,
13 Experts from the IUFRO WP 9.01.05 on research and development of indicators for SFM
have jointly elaborated two publications covering all C&I processes and regions
The highlights comprise:
* Eleven processes for forest-related C&I were analysed.
* Up to 171 countries are members of this processes
* We found varying levels of implementation across countries and regions.
* Common achievements of the processes are presented.
* Success factors for C&I implementation are proposed.
* We analyse impacts of indicators from regional and international C&I processes
* We identify six major impacts that apply to the C&I efforts: (1) enhanced
discourse and understanding of SFM; (2) shaped and focused engagement of science in SFM;
(3) improved monitoring and reporting on SFM to facilitate transparency and evidence-based
decision-making; (4) strengthened forest management practices; (5) facilitated assessment
of progress towards SFM goals; and (6) improved forest-related dialog and communication.
* We conclude that the 25-year history of C&I work in forestry has had significant
positive impacts, though challenges do remain for the implementation of C&I and
progress towards SFM.
25 Years of Criteria and Indicators for SFM: Why some intergovernmental C&I Processes
flourished while others faded
25 Years of Criteria and Indicators for SFM: How intergovernmental C&I Processes have
made a difference
With best regards from Vienna,
Dr. Stefanie Linser
Institute of Forest, Environment and Natural Resource Policy,
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU)
and European Forest Institute, Forest Policy Research Network
1180 Vienna, Austria
Tel. +43 (1) 47654 73222