It is my pleasure to share with you the 2nd Announcement for the 1.05 and 1.09 Conference, 18-20 September 2023 in Brno, Czech Republic.
Conference website: https://iufro2023.ldf.mendelu.cz/
Registration is now open: https://iufro2023.ldf.mendelu.cz/registrace
Deadline for abstract submission: 30 April 2023
Meeting details are below and in the attached flyer. We hope to see you in Brno in September!
On behalf of the Planning Committee,
Linda Nagel, United States, 1.05 Coordinator
Tomáš Vrška, Czech Republic, Conference Host
2nd Announcement IUFRO 1.05 Uneven-aged Silviculture & 1.09 Ecology and Silviculture of Mixed Forests Conference
Meeting Title: Uneven-aged Silviculture: Insights into Forest Adaptation in Times of Global Change
18 September - 20 September 2023, Brno, Czech Republic
Further information: https://iufro2023.ldf.mendelu.cz/
- What are the challenges of uneven-aged silviculture to forest adaption under climate change for sustainable wood production and biodiversity?
- Quantifying species and spatial structure changes related to climate change.
- Ecosystem services of uneven-aged/mixed species silviculture in the light of changing social needs.
- Dynamics of uneven-aged and/ or mixed forests under climate change.
- Transformation of even-aged forests to uneven-aged forests after 50 years (1973-2023) – the rate of change of tree species composition under climate change (presentation of 50 years data set and practice in the field).
- Beech silviculture – from even-aged stands to value increment silviculture. Is it the best way to compare production and the social order?
- Long-term transformation of even-aged stands to Dauerwald – which Dauerwald models are optimal for the future? Presentation of spruce-beech-silver fir-maple model and oak-hornbeam-scots pine model.
Post-conference field trip
21 September - 23 September 2023
- 100 years celebration of Mendel University Forest Enterprise – "Silviculture for climate change and society "– presentation of diversified uneven-aged, multi-aged silvicultural models and training stands for students and foresters in practice.
– Kinský estate Žďár n. Sázavou - Conversion of spruce even-aged stands into multi-aged mixed stands – experiences after 28 years; what knowledge from natural forest dynamics can we use in the uneven-aged forestry – presentation and field walk through natural forest Žákova hora on the Kinský estate.
– Transformation of even-aged scots pine stands into the mixed oak-dominated forests in the buffer zone of Podyji National Park; restoration management for biodiversity support. Evening in the local winery.
Dean & Professor | S.J. & Jessie E. Quinney College of Natural Resources
Utah State University | Logan, UT 84322
Office: (435) 797-1491 | linda.nagel(a)usu.edu